Welcome to Turin!

Check out all the information about Turin!

“Italy is a dream that keeps returning for the rest of your life.” – Anna Akhmatova

Check out all the information you need to know to move to Turin!


How to apply for a visa in Italy?

  • You don’t need a visa if you come from:

 – European Union
– European Economic Area (EEA)
– Swiss Citizens

Applications for the student visa should be made with the Italian embassy in the applicant’s home country. 

The Visa Type D is required for a long-stay study program in any Italian University.

  • Costs

 Applying for a student visa in Italy has a non-refundable fee of €50.   

  • Timing

 Normally it takes 3 to 4 weeks before your application receives a response. In case of incomplete or imprecise documentation, the process may take up to 12 weeks. Make sure to apply for your visa at least three months before your arrival date in Italy.

  • Documents required:

 – Entry visa application form:    http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/Moduli/it/Formulario Visto Nazionale.pdf

– Two recent passport-size photographs
 – Travel document valid for at least three months after visa
 – Proof of enrollment / pre-enrollment in a university course
 – Proof of accommodation in Italy
 – Proof of financial support (at least € 448.07 per month for the academic year,  total: 5824.91€ per year)
 – Adequate private insurance coverage for medical treatment/hospitalization
 – Proof of availability of financial means needed for repatriation
 – Proof of adequate knowledge of Italian or English (depending on program language)

If minor: expatriation consent 

You can find the FORM A (Modello A) at this website link (in Italian):


At the Post Office you will receive a receipt that certifies your residence permit request.

Once the registration procedure is completed, applicants must submit a request for a residence permit for “Study – University” at the police headquarters (Questura) in the city where they intend to stay.

To check if your residence permit is ready for you to collect check the Police website or the Immigration portal.

In addition to the notice displayed by this system on the status of your application, you’ll be informed via SMS about the day, time and place where you can collect your residence permit.

Keep in mind that all official documents, if not in the required language for the application, must be translated by a sworn, official translator who works with the embassy.  They will be able to provide details regarding this.




  • What you can/cannot do: 

International students with a valid permit of stay are allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week, and 1,040 hours per year.

In order to obtain a residence permit renewal, they must pass the exams yearly.


  • Residence permit:

If you are a non-EU citizen, once in Italy you must apply for a residence permit in the city where you’ll be living within 8 working days after your arrival. You can apply at the post office of your city of residence in Italy.

At the post office you will be provided with a kit containing the application form:


Check the examples: https://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/Download_Italiano.aspx  

In addition to the application, submit the following documents:

  • Copy of your passport with visa and personal data page
  • Copy of health insurance policy: health insurance bought abroad must be validated by the Italian Embassy in your country (if not already in English). You can also buy health insurance upon your arrival in Italy.
  • University Letter of acceptance
 You also need:
  • For  Bachelor of Science (Laurea) students: FORM A (Modello A) filled in at the Embassy or self-certification of enrollment
  • For  Master of Science (Laurea Magistrale) students: copy of the admission letter or FORM A (Modello A) filled in at the Embassy or self-certification of enrollment
Who to contact: 

More information on residence permits and on offices authorized to provide them may be obtained at police headquarters (Questura), on the toll-free number 803.160 or by consulting the website www.portaleimmigrazione.it

Make sure you do not try to get your long stay visa through a certified agency, it should be directly through the respective government authority (embassy, consulate, etc.), double check, always!

 What now?

Do not procrastinate, get done as soon as you arrive in the country.
  • Codice Fiscale: this is an Italian tax ID, and you need it for everything in Italy, most importantly you need it for a long term flat rental (unless you have a super shady landlord, red flag). You need to gather the necessary documents: the codice fiscale form (in English) is found here, a photocopy of the passport page with your beautiful photo, and your passport. Head to your local IVA office and stand in line for 87 years. The good news is you get it on the spot! This is for both EU and non-EU people


  • Permesso di Soggiorno: if you’re non-EU, get ready to spend more money! You need a residency permit, because the visa, moving, and tuition expenses just weren’t enough. You need quite a few documents for this one, it’s very similar to the documents you needed to submit for your visa: Marca da bollo (this is a fancy stamp that costs €16, don’t stick it on the envelope until the post office worker tells your where, and it can be purchased at any tobacco shop), copy of all the pages of your passport (yes, really), copy of a financial statement (the most recent one you used for your visa application will suffice), copy of health insurance (if it’s private American insurance all I have to say is good luck), copy of your Certificate of Enrollment with the Stamp (you should’ve received this at the consulate or in the mail upon receiving your passport back with your visa), modulo 1 filled in with black pen (this is the actual residency permit application, more information can be found here), bollettino postale (it is a small sheet of paper, about the size of a postcard that comes with the application). These are the fees you pay AT the post office, to avoid any issues, have the exact amount of cash on hand: Permesso di Soggiorno request: €30,00, and €70,46 (bollettino postale). That brings the entire process to the price of: €116.46. Add €15 to that number and get yourself a nice bottle of strong wine, you’ll need it after being in the post office for that long.




 How to rent a flat in Turin?


  • List of Documents

General documents that could generally be asked are: 

 – Passport or ID (ID only if European)
 – Income statement
 – Proof of no rental debts 
 – Insurance for house damages (ex. fire)

  • Platforms to search on: 

https://housinganywhere.com/s/  Turin–Italy find a house 

https://www.uniplaces.com/accommodation/turin housing for students

http://www.studyintorino.it/information/accomodation/ guide on housing for students in Turin, mainly residences 

https://www.nestpick.com/turin/ general accommodation in Turin and housing by district 

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/renting-process-in-italy-guide general guide on housing and renting in Italy 



What is the budget I need to  live in Turin?

  • Budgeting: 

Flat 1 bedroom in city center on average: 600€
Flat 1 bedroom outside of city center on average: 400€
Flat 3 bedrooms in city center on average: 1000€
Flat outside of city center on average: 750€

Basic utility:  around 150€ per month.

Internet:  from 25 to 30€ per month on average.

  • Food costs

 Expect to pay around €150 per month for groceries. Some budget supermarkets to go to are Lidl, Esselunga or Penny Market.

If you look for some farmer’s products, then you should visit an open food market – Porta Palazzo. 

  • Transportation cost

 Public transportation, as long as it is within the city of Turin, is €1.50 for a 90-minute ticket,

€21 per month for a 26-month pass and 38€ per month for over 26 months.

  • Entertainment cost

 If you like going to the cinema, tickets are usually anywhere from €5 to €10, like at Cinema Lux.

If you enjoy the performing arts and theatre, tickets typically begin at €15.

The entrance fee for most discos is approximately €10 to €20, including the first drink.

If you’re dining out, a meal at a pizzeria is generally around €15, including a drink or two.

If you’re at a mid-range restaurant, you will pay between €7 and €12 for pasta and between

€8 and €12 for the main dish (fish or meat). Be aware that you will be charged for bread and any appetizers present on the table.

  • Tips

Use the app Unidays for discounts (restaurants, supermarkets, fashion, technology…) 

Whenever you purchase something ask for student discounts

  • Check cost-of-living website 




How to open a bank account in Italy?


  • Should you even open one?

If you are a European citizen, you won’t need an extra bank account for Italy.  You still might want to open one, due to ATM withdrawal fees that might be applied by the bank in your home country.   Cash is still widely used in Italy, and sometimes you have to pay a minimum of 10 to 15€ to be able to pay by card, so  you will be spending quite a lot of time at the ATM.

ATM fees at banks other than your own can rise up to 5 euros. Because of that, you should maybe consider opening an account at an Italian bank.

  • The well known and most common banks in Italy are: 

 – Intesa San Paolo
– Unicredit
 – Monte dei Paschi di Siena
 – BNL (Banco Nazionale del Lavoro) 
 – Poste Italiane

You can also rely on international banks active in Italy, as:

 – ING
– Deutsche Bank 
 – Credit Agricole 

Expats are allowed to open a bank account in Italy regardless of their citizenship.

Non-resident accounts (conto corrente non residenti) are popular with expats since they usually pay interest and are not subject to local interest taxes. The best way for expats to open a non-resident account is to go to a bank in person with their passport and codice fiscale (tax code).  Applicants will have to provide personal information and fill out application forms.  These are normally in Italian,  so it may be a good idea to bring a fluent friend along.

Different banks will have different procedures, and some will be more familiar with working with foreign clientele than others.  As a result, expats are advised to compare the packages and requirements on offer at different banks.

  • Documents required:

– ID, such as a passport
– A valid Italian address
– Your codice fiscale (tax number)
– Proof of employment (or proof that you’re studying, if you’re a student)



  • ATMs and credit cards: 

ATMs in Italy are known to locals as bancomat. They are widely available in cities and towns, and expats will be able to choose their preferred language at the beginning of the transaction.

Cash is king in Italy, so in many places if your bill doesn’t exceed 10€ you won’t be able to pay by card.

Larger stores usually accept debit and credit cards in Italy. This can often be confirmed by credit card logos displayed on windows in the shop.  The most common card companies in Italy are CartaSi, Visa and MasterCard. Diners Club and American Express are also available.

Expats should be aware that international accounts often have hefty transaction fees.



What is the local subway company in Turin?

How can I get around Turin?


  • Transportation

While you are looking for student housing in Turin, it’s great to know that it will be easy to get around on foot.

There’s no need for a car, which makes things a lot simpler, considering parking can be hard to find and is quite expensive.

Additionally, there are several modes of public transportation, including buses, trams and the metro.

  • Buses and trams

Local transportation in Turin is provided by GTT, which is also known as Gruppo Trasporti Torinese, managing a subway line, buses and trams. These generally run from 5 a.m. until midnight during the week, and on weekends, “Nightbuster” lines run until 5 a.m.

You can buy tickets at any newsstand in Turin, as well as at bars and the vending machines at the metro stations. Of course, be sure to buy your tickets before boarding. Tickets last for 70 minutes, and the price depends on the trip. You can log onto the GTT website to view prices and to plan out your journey with the use of their timetables.

  • Turin metro

 The metro connects areas like Collegno with Lingotto Expo. It can also help you cover an hour’s distance in less than 20 minutes.

  • Drivers licence

All licenses issued in the European Union are accepted as locals. 

Foreigners on short-term visit may rent a car and drive with a valid foreign driver’s license for up to 6 months in Italy. 

Driver’s licenses from non-EU countries (except Switzerland) are accepted if you have a visa in your passport and at the time of hire have not been in Europe for longer than 6 months.  Longer than that, you need to get a driver’s license from an EU country.

An International Driving Permit (IDP/IDL) is required for non-EU drivers. Please note that an International Driving Permit (often referred to as an International Driver’s License) does not replace the requirement for a regular driver’s license, you must carry your current overseas driver’s license and IDP with you all the time when driving in Italy.







How to apply for an insurance in Italy?

For what do I need an insurance in Italy?


  • Public health insurance for expats:

– EU nationals can use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access to public healthcare services in Italy for free.
non-EU expats can formally register for the SSN (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) in addition to their private health Insurance, which is mandatory
– expats who have their residence status finalized and have an Italian id (carta d’identità) are able to apply for an Italian health insurance card (tessera sanitaria)

To get an Italian health insurance card, go to the nearest local health authority (Azienda Sanità Locale) and apply for it.

  • Required documents:

– residence permit
– tax number
– official identification
– proof of employment

After registering, applicants have to choose a doctor. They are then issued with their Italian health insurance card, which must be presented in order to receive care under the SSN. These cards must be renewed every year.

If expats don’t qualify for public healthcare under the SSN or EHIC, they must have private health insurance.

  • Private Health insurance for expat students​​​:

​Here are some easy and cheap options for students to get private health insurance coverage in Italy during your studies: 




  • Public healthcare info

The national health service in Italy, Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN), provides citizens and residents with free or low-cost healthcare that includes access to general practitioners (GPs), treatment at public hospitals, subsidized medicines, lab services, ambulance services and certain specialist care. 

Regarding healthcare in terms of quality, Italy ranks # 2 on the World Health Organization’s list of top countries for quality health care services (the U.S. hold the 37th rank).

Although the SSN is a socialized system, regional governments are in charge of managing it on a provincial level, with the result that the standard of treatment isn’t uniform throughout the country (public hospitals in Italy’s northern regions are known to offer higher standards of care than those in the south). 

  • Private healthcare info

 Private healthcare in Italy is championed by doctors that are well-trained and on a par with the finest in the world.  There are a number of impressive specialist facilities in the large urban centers, and university hospitals are also highly reputable. Although public healthcare in Italy is free for expat residents,  most foreigners still opt to utilise private healthcare.  Private procedures vary in cost, and the Ministry of Health sets a minimum charge for all operations in this sector.

For this reason, private healthcare can be expensive and health insurance is a must. Private healthcare allows expats to avoid the queues and complications of the public system, and also makes provision for more  comforts and personal choice when it comes to doctors and facilities.  For these reasons, there are also many Italians who opt to use the private system if they can afford to.





   Is Turin a safe city?



In general you don’t have to worry about assaults or thieves on the streets when you are casually walking around the city.

But of course, as Turin is a big city in Europe, pickpockets are a concern and you should be careful on public transportation or in crowded areas. Women are generally safe walking around by themselves at all time.

These are tips for very precautious people though, in general you should live your life as in even bigger city.


  • Emergency services

 Dial tel. 112 to call the police, report a fire, or call for an ambulance anywhere in Italy (anywhere in Europe, actually).

 You can also still dial the Italian national numbers:

 112 – Carabinieri (national military police)

 113 – National civil police (also ambulance and  fire)

 115 – Fire department

 116 – Roadside assistance from A.C.I. (like AAA; expect to pay for any service)

 117 – Finance police (if you’ve been cheated)

 118 – Medical emergencies

 1515 – Forest fires




How to apply for a phone subscription in Italy?

What are the phone operator in Italy?


If you have a European plan, your sim card will work in Italy on free roaming as of the latest EU law.  Italian plans though are generally cheap and easy to get, so it’s recommend that you obtain one.  You can get either a prepaid (prepagato) SIM card, or a subscription monthly plan.

The most common and reliable providers are: 

 – TIM (www.tim.it

 – Wind (www.wind.it)

 – Vodafone (www.vodafone.it

 – Tre (www.tre.it

 – Iliad (https://www.iliad.it/)

Iliad is the newest one and cheapest, still offering a good service with huge amounts of GB, minutes and sms.  All SIM cards must be registered in Italy, so make sure you have a passport or ID card with you when you buy one. You can easily top up your prepaid Italian SIM, in case you choose that, either from the app of your provider, by connecting your credit card, or with a recharge card (ricarica).  Available from most tobacconists  (you communicate your phone number and the amount you’d like to charge on your sim card), pay in loco and you’ll receive the recharge immediately on your phone. 



Things you should know about Italy


  1. Italy is the first country in the world for number of World Heritage Sites (55)
  2. Don’t give someone your best wishes. Instead, say “In bocca al lupo” or “into the wolf’s mouth,” as this means “good luck.”
  3. Europe’s three active volcanoes, Etna, Stromboli, and Vesuvius are all located in Italy.
  4. The Vesuvius is also considered the most dangerous active volcano on earth, having the city of Naples sitting in its valley, with a metropolitan population of more than three million people.
  5. Italy is home to the Europe’s oldest university, the University of Bologna, founded in 1088
  6. On average, Italians eat half a pound of bread a day.  What’s more, estimated pasta consumption is 70 pounds per person annually
  7. Italy boasts the eighth largest economy in the world.

Check out this list of 50+ fun and interesting facts about Italy:




We designed you a checklist to help you through your preparation!

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us!


Leave a Reply